In December, I got the opportunity to photograph Sophie & Drew’s incredible handfasting ceremony in York Cemetery. I can’t imagine anything more perfect for them than a cloudy, misty afternoon in a beautiful, gothic graveyard; It was something straight out of their gothic fairy tale dreams. This awesome couple wore dresses made by Legend Bridal, and jewellery from their own independent business, Scarlet In Chains.
The day began with a beautiful handfasting ceremony and collaring ceremony inside the cemetery chapel, using a handfasting chain also made by them. The historic building was incredible for photos, really allowing me to utilise the towering windows pouring in light, and the stone interior to compliment their vibe. The ceremony was performed by Ellie of Alternative Ceremonies UK, and was truly, darkly, beautiful and meaningful. We had a great time capturing each part of the ceremony as it happened, with no need to stop and pose constantly, as I got all of my photos from the side-lines, in a candid way that allowed everyone to focus on what mattered most (my specialty).
After the ceremony, we headed outside for a few posed shots.
The following all collaborated on the day:
- Photographer: Alternative Images
- Videographer: Films by Jo
- Venue: York Cemetery
- Celebrant: Alternative Ceremonies UK
- Dresses; Zorya, Persephone, Bellatrix, Cordeline and Amarra by Legend Bridal
- Bespoke Jewellery and Handfasting chain: Scarlet in Chains
- Makeup: Ruth E Moulden
- Faux floral bouquets: Maddison Rocks Floral
- Black Dahlia paper bouquet: Paper Jackdaw
- Floral and feather headpieces: Peacock Pretties
- Models: Sophie and Drew